Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems
Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This is a bit OT but it is network related. I'm moving from having
> my Virgin (formerly NTL) broadband supplied by set-top box to being
> supplied via cablemodem. Apparently this provides a completely free
> upgrade from 1Mb to 2Mb - and the best part - no engineer required.
>
> Here's the problem... I was told that my existing wall point would
> have two terminals: one already going to the STB and one spare which
> would connect to the cm they're sending out to me. Great I thought -
> I just connect the new cm to the router, connect it to the spare wall
> point and hey presto (once I register it). You'd think I'd know
> better after 7 years with ntl / C&W / Virgin.
>
> Turns out that there's one white box on the wall and only one terminal
> on it - that's obviously connected to the STB. I've just spoken to
> Virgin who assure me that it's not just a cm on its way to me -
> there's a splitter on its way as welll. Hmm.
>
> Question is - if (as I strongly suspect) the cm arrives and the
> splitter doesn't - can I buy one from somewhere? I've googled "coax
> splitter" but I'm getting gadgets that split one TV signal into two.
>
> I guess I should also ask if anyone's been in the same situation and
> attempted to do this without an engineer visiting?

Yep. Been with NTL since they started as Cabletel, not much anyone can
tell me about them.

One of these will work:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29530&source=2001&doy=4m12

Failing that, if you're stuck I probably have one in a drawer somewhere
- feel free to contact me off list if you need. I ended up giving one to
an NTL engineer on their last visit in the interests of time when they
moved my business connection.

jfk