[Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems
Hi all

This is a bit OT but it is network related. I'm moving from having my
Virgin (formerly NTL) broadband supplied by set-top box to being supplied
via cablemodem. Apparently this provides a completely free upgrade from
1Mb to 2Mb - and the best part - no engineer required.

Here's the problem... I was told that my existing wall point would have two
terminals: one already going to the STB and one spare which would connect to
the cm they're sending out to me. Great I thought - I just connect the new
cm to the router, connect it to the spare wall point and hey presto (once I
register it). You'd think I'd know better after 7 years with ntl / C&W /
Virgin.

Turns out that there's one white box on the wall and only one terminal on
it - that's obviously connected to the STB. I've just spoken to Virgin who
assure me that it's not just a cm on its way to me - there's a splitter on
its way as welll. Hmm.

Question is - if (as I strongly suspect) the cm arrives and the splitter
doesn't - can I buy one from somewhere? I've googled "coax splitter" but
I'm getting gadgets that split one TV signal into two.

I guess I should also ask if anyone's been in the same situation and
attempted to do this without an engineer visiting?

Cheers
Rob