Re: [Hampshire] Linux on machines with small RAM

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux on machines with small RAM
> From: James Ogley <james@???>

> Does anyone have experience of [relatively] modern
> Linuxes that are targeted at low-spec/old hardware and
> can make a recommendation?

Most of the far eastern suppliers of low-end PCs seem to be
using Puppy.

On a related note, we're about to order a batch of VESA Ebox-
2300 PCs with two serial ports. 200Mhz CPU, 128Mb RAM, 3xUSB,
2xSerial, 10/100 Ethernet, CF slot. These will work out at a
maximum of GBP 99, maybe less. If you are interested, please let
me know off-list. When our ISP lets us upload again, look at
http://www.mpeforth.com/arena/ebox2300man.pdf
or Google for it.

The price of these boxes drops dramatically in volume. They are
FOB Taiwan at around USD 100 at 1000 off and a Thai supplier
claims to do them at USD 85. Delivery may be 4-8 weeks.

If anyone knows of any cheaper low-end fanless PCs, we are
interested to know of them.

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691