Re: [Hampshire] SMS gateway providers.

Top Page
Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SMS gateway providers.

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57d58100.hantslug.org.uk.12725': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Dec 5 21:55:49 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B15F69BD3454B217
Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2007 at 13:12:14 -0000 (-0000), Samuel Penn wrote:
>> On Wed, December 5, 2007 12:10, David Ramsden wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend an SMS gateway provider? Either one where you can
>>> email the provider and this is sent via SMS to a recipient or
>>> alternatively a hardware device where a SIM can be used to send the SMS.
>> You could plug a mobile phone into the PC, and use something
>> like gnokii to send the SMS through it. It's simple, but it
>> works.
>
> You can also get dedicated GSM devices I believe (presumably USB these
> days). I'd certainly look at going this route - if the network is
> down the SMS would at least stand a chance of getting through.

[snip]

Thanks Adrian. This would be the ideal solution. Even though our NOC is
using bonded NICs in active-backup mode, plugged in to two seperate
switches and using diverse WAN connections, if something horrible
happens on the network (i.e. broadcast storm, human error etc.) this
would be the single point of failure. That and if the NOC itself goes up
in smoke suddenly.

Time to go hunting for a GSM device that'll work! We probably get a
certain number of free SMS messages between business mobiles too which
we're not using...

Regards,
David.
--