Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems
hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 December 2007 19:48, John Cooper wrote:
>
>> I have to say that once installed, NTL cable is
>> far more reliable than BT exchange based ADSL. I've had 3 outages from
>> my Tiscali connection already (one exchange line fault, one Tiscali
>> network plus another where I had to reset the connection using the USB
>> modem, yuk)
>>

> May I tentatively suggest, John, that the problem to which you refer is a
> Tiscali one, not a generic BT exchange based ADSL problem?
>
> My Zen connection has had one outage in over three years, which may have been
> due to my router, and a very short spate of periodic 10 sec outages on Monday
> mornings. And yes, that was due to BT's exchange. And Zen was more than
> willing to take up the cudgels on my behalf. It was I who thought such tiny
> outages for a brief period were not worth a fuss.
>
> At the moment BT is recabling the village. I have not had a single outage.
>
> Lisi

My point is that whoever you choose on ADSL, the first mile or more to
the exchange is BT controlled and likely to be a BT exchange card at the
end. With local loop unbundling the likes of Tiscali can put their own
kit in the exchange but are still reliant on BT to jumper you phone line
to it. Such a complicated chain makes any fault finding difficult and
slow. I heard several horror stories about ADSL going down and each
party blaming the other. With Virgin at least the technology is better
and you are dealing with one company, even if the customer services are
still the same NTL.

So, comparing a phone line and a cable line, cable will be more reliable
and after moving to ADSL I quickly got the NTL line back on as a backup.
Everytime we have heavy rain there is a good chance my ADSL will go down
and you can't blame Tiscali for that!

John.

P.S. I spent 17 years working with BT and others and have MSc in telecoms.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk