Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Hosting with email forwarding.

Author: James Ogden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Hosting with email forwarding.
On 06/12/2007, the-labyrinth@??? <the-labyrinth@???>
wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 07:33:58 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >On 06/12/2007, the-labyrinth@??? <the-labyrinth@???>
> >wrote:
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any suggestions for web-hosting.
> >> I have grown unhappy with the people hosting my company domain - They
> >> no longer provide a catch-all email forwarder, so I have to specify a
> >> forwarder for every email address I use within the domain, and their
> >> machine seems to be passing on too much spam, so the addresses
> >> forwarded to my address at my current client all get blocked as from a
> >> known spammer!
> >>
> >> The company is about to be dormant, so the web-hosting requirement is
> >> very low - small static website with little traffic, but I do want to
> >> have all my email (again not a great amount) forwarded to my account
> >> at my ISP, and since the company will be dormant I do not want to be
> >> paying very much.
> >

> >How about leaving the website where it is, but using google apps for the
> >email - you can set it up with a catchall, and to forward all email (post
> >spam
> >checking) to another address.
> >
> >James
>
> James,
>
> You've lost me.
> Which Google app will help me forward the email?
> and does it not need to be running on the machine of the people
> looking after my domain name ?

Google Apps for Your Domain (www.google.com/a) allows you to set up mail
(and a bunch of other things) for your domain. You can then set up (or get
your ISP to set) up the MX for your domain appropriately

There's nothing implicit in registering a domain which means that the ISP
who handle the registration have to run the email (although many do)

James