Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Hosting with email forwarding.

Author: the-labyrinth
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Hosting with email forwarding.
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 08:23:06 +0000, you wrote:

>On 06/12/2007, the-labyrinth@??? <the-labyrinth@???>
>wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 07:33:58 +0000, you wrote:

>> >How about leaving the website where it is, but using google apps for the
>> >email - you can set it up with a catchall, and to forward all email (post
>> >spam
>> >checking) to another address.
>> >
>> >James
>>
>> James,
>>
>> You've lost me.
>> Which Google app will help me forward the email?
>> and does it not need to be running on the machine of the people
>> looking after my domain name ?
>

>Google Apps for Your Domain (www.google.com/a) allows you to set up mail
>(and a bunch of other things) for your domain. You can then set up (or get
>your ISP to set) up the MX for your domain appropriately
>
>There's nothing implicit in registering a domain which means that the ISP
>who handle the registration have to run the email (although many do)
>
>James

So, if I have read the google apps pages correctly, your suggestion is
"get Google to host your email" ? I had missed that they did that.

There is an awful lot of waffle about their webmail, with tiny
throw-away comments about forwarding or using a real email client.

Would this not mean I will be paying someone to host the website and
then using google for the email ?

Chris