Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems
On Thu December 6 2007 23:34, hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Thursday 06 December 2007 19:42, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> > On 06/12/2007, John Cooper <lug@???> wrote:
> > > But you still had to call BT!
> >
> > That should not be the case. If you have a problem with a ADSL line,
> > you contact your supplier, e.g. Zen, Demon whoever.
> > Zen or Demon then deal with BT to sort it out.
> > The only time I have ever talked to BT regarding a ADSL problem is
> > when they rang me to organise a visiting time. I never had to call BT,
> > only Demon.
>
> James - you are right and I agree with you. I have _never_ had to call BT
> about my ADSL since I first talked to Zen before this village was enabled.
> (I pre-registered with them.)
>
> On one occasion, just after the village was enabled and I was connected, I
> rang Zen about my _telephone_ line because, since the fault arose when I
> was ADSL connected I wasn't sure in whose pitch it lay. Zen said what I
> reported - the telephone line is basically BTs part of the setup, so could
> I ring BT first. But if I had any problems (unknown as we all know with BT
> ;-) ) come back to Zen and they would sort it out for me.
>
> As I said, I think good customer service is what makes the difference, be
> it in ADSL or cable.
>
> Lisi

Well I must of upset the gods when I took out a Zen ADSL, I had trouble
ordering which took three attempts, then the one time I had a fault (the line
kept disconnecting) tech support had me jumping through all sorts of hoops,
re-configure the router, reconfigure the PC, swap cables, router and firewall
etc. Zen refused point blank to contact BT as they believed it was a fault
with my equipment (all under a year old). In the end I phoned BT and told
them I had a noisy line (which I had told Zen), they came out to investigate
and found that somebody had cut the cable while while fitting a new heater
flue in theroof of building next door.

I phoned Zen and told them the problem was resolved and that had they had
listen to there customer it would of been sorted earlier. I followed this up
with a letter of complaint and cancellation of the ADSL.

I have several ADSL lines with another ISP and in the 6 years that I have had
ADSL line at work I have never had the problems with Tech support that I had
with Zen, not even with my own Nynex\Cable and Wireless\NTL\Virgin cable DSL
at home. I found Zen support (customer and Tech) appalling.

Tim