Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems
On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:42:13PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> That should not be the case.

Shouldn't, but it is. I have used NTL Cable, ADSL, ADSL Max and back to
Virgin Cable again. Without a doubt cable has been more reliable (and
an order of magnitude faster) than any ADSL. ADSL Max is a joke here, giving
me less than 1Mb/s, sometimes even giving me 400Kb/s down and 800Kb/s up!

My Virgin connection has been rock solid. I've had some downtime here and
there and a minor routing issue last week, but nothing major.

> If you have a problem with a ADSL line,
> you contact your supplier, e.g. Zen, Demon whoever.
> Zen or Demon then deal with BT to sort it out.

That's not what happened in my experience. My ISP said they contacted BT and
BT said there was nothing they could do, however contacting BT directly gave
me different results.

Cheers,
Al.