Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:14:47 +0000
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:42:13PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton
> wrote:
> > That should not be the case.
>
> Shouldn't, but it is. I have used NTL Cable, ADSL, ADSL Max and
> back to Virgin Cable again. Without a doubt cable has been more
> reliable (and an order of magnitude faster) than any ADSL. ADSL Max
> is a joke here, giving me less than 1Mb/s, sometimes even giving me
> 400Kb/s down and 800Kb/s up!
>
> My Virgin connection has been rock solid. I've had some downtime
> here and there and a minor routing issue last week, but nothing
> major.
>
> > If you have a problem with a ADSL line,
> > you contact your supplier, e.g. Zen, Demon whoever.
> > Zen or Demon then deal with BT to sort it out.
>
> That's not what happened in my experience. My ISP said they
> contacted BT and BT said there was nothing they could do, however
> contacting BT directly gave me different results.

It all seems to depend on where you live.

The cable connection I had was completely unreliable at the end of my
time with NTL. It went down as frequently as a dozen times a day
requiring a reboot of the STB to get it back even though the tests
carried out by the NTL guys said I had a good signal and our TV
reception was more or less OK (Still is, as we continue to use
Virgin for our TV)

NTL put the blame on the original company who dug the roads up and
told me they weren't prepared to relay the cable on cost grounds
(although they did re-do the coax link back to the roadside cabinet
for all the houses in the node I was on).

I have an excellent ADSL connection from BT via Zen but can get
nothing like the speed theoretically possible despite being
relatively close to the local BT exchange, I suspect that once again
it is down to poor quality cable (aluminium??) used when this estate
was built some 27 years ago. I don't get better than 200Mb/s* at
any time of day.

* I may have this wrong but the 200 is right

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package