Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems
john lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:14:47 +0000
> Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:42:13PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton
>> wrote:
>>
>>> That should not be the case.
>>>
>> Shouldn't, but it is. I have used NTL Cable, ADSL, ADSL Max and
>> back to Virgin Cable again. Without a doubt cable has been more
>> reliable (and an order of magnitude faster) than any ADSL. ADSL Max
>> is a joke here, giving me less than 1Mb/s, sometimes even giving me
>> 400Kb/s down and 800Kb/s up!
>>
>> My Virgin connection has been rock solid. I've had some downtime
>> here and there and a minor routing issue last week, but nothing
>> major.
>>

>>> If you have a problem with a ADSL line,
>>> you contact your supplier, e.g. Zen, Demon whoever.
>>> Zen or Demon then deal with BT to sort it out.
>>>
>> That's not what happened in my experience. My ISP said they
>> contacted BT and BT said there was nothing they could do, however
>> contacting BT directly gave me different results.
>>

> It all seems to depend on where you live.
>
> The cable connection I had was completely unreliable at the end of my
> time with NTL. It went down as frequently as a dozen times a day
> requiring a reboot of the STB to get it back even though the tests
> carried out by the NTL guys said I had a good signal and our TV
> reception was more or less OK (Still is, as we continue to use
> Virgin for our TV)
>
> NTL put the blame on the original company who dug the roads up and
> told me they weren't prepared to relay the cable on cost grounds
> (although they did re-do the coax link back to the roadside cabinet
> for all the houses in the node I was on).
>
> I have an excellent ADSL connection from BT via Zen but can get
> nothing like the speed theoretically possible despite being
> relatively close to the local BT exchange, I suspect that once again
> it is down to poor quality cable (aluminium??) used when this estate
> was built some 27 years ago. I don't get better than 200Mb/s* at
> any time of day.
>
> * I may have this wrong but the 200 is right

I think you mean 200kb/s which I get about 250kb/s from my 2MB link and
around 600kb/s for my "8MB" link. Aluminum is really horrible medium to
send a signal down and I'm surprised it would work at all. It is more
likely to be cheap copper cable, poorly fitted.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk