Re: [Hampshire] [Tech] Software for burning DVDs

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Tech] Software for burning DVDs
>> You could ask the same of any two applications that seek to do the same
>> task.
>>
> OK - fair point. But it doesn't explain how k3b got it "so right" and
> all other programs failed.

Yes, it does.

K3B clearly uses a different way of getting the data onto the disk. That
way seems to work better in the environment you gave it.

> If we were to compare two word processors for
> example, typing the same document into each - could legitimately end up
> with different results courtesy of fonts, line spacing etc - all of which
> are adjustable. I dare say if we ensured consistent settings across the
> two, the output still wouldn't be identical.

So from similar input, you can achieve dissimilar output. That's no
different from what you're seeing with DVDs - except that the similarity
of the output to the original is more important to you there.

> Howerver in burning an iso, all
> that's required is to write the data to the disk in precisely the way
> contained in the iso (no settings to fiddle with)

Not true.

The .iso represents how the data sould be laid out on the disk (actually,
that's an over-simplification, but it'll do for now). It does not tell you
how to get it there; that depends heavily on what you've got in your
system - component speeds, drive capabilities, media types, etc.

K3B stands a better chance than most of getting this last part right
simply by virtue of the amount of work Sebastien Trueg puts into K3B. But
that doesn't mean K3B is always right, nor that everyone else is always
wrong; the actual problem could lie anywhere in your system (including the
media you are using).

Vic.