Re: [Hampshire] [Tech] Software for burning DVDs

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Tech] Software for burning DVDs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Pope" <alan@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 3:07 PM

> On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 01:45:31PM -0000, Rob Malpass wrote:
>> Why should different CD/DVD burning programs have different results when
>> doing the same task?
>>

> You could ask the same of any two applications that seek to do the same
> task.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

OK - fair point. But it doesn't explain how k3b got it "so right" and all
other programs failed. If we were to compare two word processors for
example, typing the same document into each - could legitimately end up with
different results courtesy of fonts, line spacing etc - all of which are
adjustable. I dare say if we ensured consistent settings across the two,
the output still wouldn't be identical. Howerver in burning an iso, all
that's required is to write the data to the disk in precisely the way
contained in the iso (no settings to fiddle with) - hence I can't really see
how several programs that purport to do this can get (apparently) nowhere
near.

Anyway - it's working so I'm happy (and more importantly my Christmas
present is a happier prospect now!) ;-]]

Cheers
Rob