Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems
On Wednesday 05 December 2007 23:01, John Cooper wrote:
>> I heard several horror stories about ADSL going down and each
>> party blaming the other.
>>

> This simply doesn't happen with Zen. They were even prepared to accept
> responsibilty for a fault on my 'phone line, tho' they asked whether I would
> mind trying BT first. But said come back to them if I experienced a problem
> with BT.

Well I hope that continues, but they are still reliant on BT Openreach
like every other supplier including BT broadband.

>> With Virgin at least the technology is better
>> and you are dealing with one company, even if the customer services are
>> still the same NTL.
>>

> Customer services is excellent and I only deal with one company. What happens
> after I have reported a problem to Zen is their problem not mine, and that is
> how they see it.

But you still had to call BT!
> The technology may be more reliable with cable, and I bow to your superior
> knowledge on that. But the quality of what one receives seems to be largely
> a matter of customer service both in cable and in ADSL. I have heard a
> fairly large number of cable horror stories to match your ADSL ones.

Very true, I've had bad experiences with both on setup, but once
installed, cable has been by far the more reliable so I think everyone
should make an informed choice. ADSL is the better value with a phone
package, but are likely to have download limits, even on "unlimited"
packaged between 6pm and 12am. Virgin don't have download limits.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk