Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems

Author: Alex Phillips
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virgin cable modems
John Cooper wrote:

> Very true, I've had bad experiences with both on setup, but once
> installed, cable has been by far the more reliable so I think everyone
> should make an informed choice. ADSL is the better value with a phone
> package, but are likely to have download limits, even on "unlimited"
> packaged between 6pm and 12am. Virgin don't have download limits.
>
> John.

John,

Your definition of "no download limits" and mine must vary, because
Virgin impose "Traffic management" if you download too much.

From http://cablehell.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=115394

There are three broadband tiers.. M, L and XL (2, 4 and 10mbps
respectively)

    * For the M broadband service, if you download more than 350
      megabytes between the hours of 4pm and 12am your download speed
      will be cut to 1Mbps and your upload to 128Kbps
    * For the L broadband service, if you download more than 750
      megabytes between the hours of 4pm and 12am your download speed
      will be cut to 2Mbps and your upload to 192Kbps
    * For the XL broadband service, if you download more than 3
      gigabytes between the hours of 4pm and 12am your download speed
      will be cut to 5Mbps and your upload to 256Kbps

And see http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Those look like Download limits to me.

Regards,

Alex.