Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Hosting with email forwarding.

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Hosting with email forwarding.
>>This is often seen as a Good Thing(tm)
>
> and I thought it was mainly microSoft which decided what I would like
> and then forced it on me!

There's no "forcing it" on you; if you want a catch-all, you can have one.
But it will cost you more money and give you a worse service.

>>Whitelist that address.
> The main problem is at my client's email gateway. I will not be able
> to get them to do this.

You'll have to get them to do something; if they are *insisting* that
their feed is a spam sewer (by virtue of the catch-all), they will get
spam from it. Indeed, even if they don't have a catch-all, there will be a
certain amount (having a completely spam-free feed is certainly
prohibitively expensive, and probably completely impossible). If they
blacklist on any spam, they will blacklist the feed.

Your only options are to whitelist the feed, or not blacklist it. How you
achieve that is up to you.

>>Why don't you host it yourself?
> I am not online permanently - surely that is a requirement.

Not for mail. It is advisable, but the only downsides to having an
occasional connection are :-

- you will have no mail to read for the first hour or so after switch-on
- some senders will get a warning that their mail couldn't be sent for 4
hours, but that they don't need to do anything.

If you don't connect for several days (typically 5), mail will start to be
returned to sender.

But if your load requirements are small, why not build yourself a
low-power server & leave it on? Carcasses can be had for next to nothing
(watch the Freecycle groups - they often give away PCs that are plenty
capable of rnuning a web/mail server).

Vic.