[Hampshire] 3rd mouse button in Gnome

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] 3rd mouse button in Gnome
Hi all

Does anyone know how gnome (or KDE) handles 3 button mice? What I want
ideally is to have the two buttons (select and context sensitive) as now,
but if I get a 3 button mouse, for the 3rd button to act as a "menu" button
bringing up the applications (if in gnome) menu as a popup wherever I am on
the desktop i.e. without having to head to the top of the desktop. I know
there's the Alt+f1 keyboard shortcut that will do this.

The only OSs I've seen do this are Sun's OpenWindows and (of all things)
Acorn RISC OS. It's such a nice function it must be possible (and
doubtless someone will tell me it's a doddle) but I've not been able to find
much on it.

Cheers
Rob