Re: [Hampshire] Report on Tesco Ubuntu machine

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Report on Tesco Ubuntu machine
On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 11:28:37PM +0000, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> That got us into Ubuntu Dapper, default mud brown with its rather
> childish theme. OpenOffice was at 2.0, Firefox at 1.5 so I went for
> an upgrade. NOT an easy process; I think it would have been quicker
> just to download the install CD and start from scratch but I was
> nervous about losing what I had working. I ended up using aptitude as
> I found both the package managers (Adept and Synaptic) very
> cumbersome in comparison. It took a lot of goes round the block and a
> few dpkg -i of individually downloaded packages to upgrade to Gutsy.
> There were two or three times where files had moved between packages
> which often gets apt in a circular frenzy. I only had to reboot once
> though!

You went direct from Dapper (6.06) to Gutsy (7.10) bypassing 6.10 and 7.04?

If so that's an unsupported manouver and you're asking for the aptitude
circular stuff that happened. The upgrade guides in the documentation detail
how to go from Dapper -> Edgy -> Feisty -> Gutsy - and yes, it would almost
definitely have been quicker to reinstall :)

> 6) I was amazed when I plugged in our two USB printers and up popped a
> message saying they'd been configured and installed. Things have
> certainly moved on since I last started from scratch! Similarly our
> Logitech Skype headset plugged in and worked; and two essential
> Windows apps worked under wine so there was no need to arrange a dual
> boot.

Worth noting this probably would not have happened under the standard
install of Dapper. The new printer magic is only in 7.10 and above.

> 9) But best of all of course, I bought a PC with Linux installed on
> it. Still seems cool to me!

Yay!

Cheers,
Al.