[Hampshire] Microphone / linein plugin for xmms

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Microphone / linein plugin for xmms
Hi,

I want to set up my laptop as a stand alone sound-to-light system. I
used to do this in the bad old days using WinAmp's linein plugin to
send sound from a microphone to the WinAmp visualisations - job done!

I thought I should be able to do the same with XMMS but I can't find a
working input plugin which feeds mic or line in to XMMS. It seems an
obvious thing to want to do for all sorts of reasons so I'm sure
there must be one somewhere. The nearest I found was xmms-recorder
http://xmms-recorder.sourceforge.net/ (Dec 2002) but that no longer
compiles:

aclocal: configure.in: 79: macro `AM_PATH_ESD' not found in library
make: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1

It also looks for alsa libraries that disappeared eons ago so I'm not
hopeful it would work even if I could compile it.

Is there a plugin that would do this, or a method using another player
that has good visualisations?

TIA, Peter