[Hampshire] Grub & Sata - what have I done wrong?

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Grub & Sata - what have I done wrong?
Hi All.

I'm trying to migrate my rather broken PATA-based workstation over to a
new SATA drive. I've partitioned the drive, copied the static partitions
over, & installed Grub in the MBR.

I've modified grub.conf to point to the new drive (hd2), but there's
problem; whenever the machine tries to switch video mode, the screen fails
(either showing nothing but a blinking cursor in the top left corner, or
covering the screen with rubbish).

If I comment out the splashimage= line in grub.conf, It boots properly
(with no splashimage, of course).

If I point the splashimage= line back at the original /boot partition on
the PATA drive, it boots normally.

Any ideas? I'm sick of the edit/reboot cycle...

Vic.