Re: [Hampshire] rsh question

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] rsh question
Stephen Davies wrote:
> /Any reason for using rsh? It's generally a bad idea...
>
> ssh is far more secure, and far easier to use.
>
> Vic.
> /
>
> Vic,
> Security is not an issue here as the connection is via the directly cabled Heartbeat NIC-to-NIC connection between the two servers. Yes, I could use ssh but the customer wants to use rsh and naturally, the customer is always right aren't they?

Hi Steve,

Well, if you can convince them that ssh is easier to implement and
maintain you'll also be covering off that impromptu server migration a
year down the line when one box moves to remote data centre. I would go
into arse-covering mode if I were you, and recommend a secure solution
and archive any emails that slap you down and insist on rsh, which even
at our place is a dirty word these days.

Sean