Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution

Author: m.nuttall
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution
Quoting Mark Johnson <mark@???>:

> > Quoting Tim <xendistar@???>:

> >> the
>
> The only reason Kubuntu's less popular is because it's not the default.
> The only thing differing from Ubuntu is the desktop environment, it still
> uses the same packages from the same sources, and has all the same
> features (except having compiz enabled by default, which I wouldn't
> recommend in KDE anyway). If you're looking for a modern, easy-to-use
> desktop distro, I'd highly recommend Kubuntu.

Hmm thinking about it for a bit maybe it would be a good idea to find a
distribution that is more standard linux like. What i mean is avoiding yast and
other custom settings managers and using kde control centre instead.

> >> Well many on here will suggest Debian,
> <<snip>>
> >> Its only downsides (to me) is the fact it does
> >> tend to
> >>
> >> be a slow distro in the introduction of new\updated packages

hmm bit of a negative for me i do remember reading in liunux format that it took
years to get to the last debian release.

> >>and the
> >> requirement for 100% free software, for example Debian has Iceweasel
> >> instead
> >>
> >> of Firefox because of issues regarding the Firefox software.
> >
> > That rules out debian for me then.
>
> I'm not sure if you're aware, but Iceweasel is simply a rebranded version
> of Firefox to avoid some trademark disputes that Debian ran into when
> patching the Firefox code. If you count Firefox as a requirement in
> selecting a distro, Iceweasel will fulfil this requirement.

Its liable to have to spoof as firefox though since there are plenty of badly
coded sites out there that only check for IE or FF?

Martin N