Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution

Author: Mark Johnson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution
> Quoting Tim <xendistar@???>:
>
>> On Sun December 23 2007 17:52, m.nuttall@??? wrote:
>> > I would prefer to use kde which kinda rules out ubuntu unless i go for
>> the
>> > less popular kubuntu.

The only reason Kubuntu's less popular is because it's not the default.
The only thing differing from Ubuntu is the desktop environment, it still
uses the same packages from the same sources, and has all the same
features (except having compiz enabled by default, which I wouldn't
recommend in KDE anyway). If you're looking for a modern, easy-to-use
desktop distro, I'd highly recommend Kubuntu.

>> Well many on here will suggest Debian,

<<snip>>
>> Its only downsides (to me) is the fact it does
>> tend to
>>
>> be a slow distro in the introduction of new\updated packages and the
>> requirement for 100% free software, for example Debian has Iceweasel
>> instead
>>
>> of Firefox because of issues regarding the Firefox software.
>
> That rules out debian for me then.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Iceweasel is simply a rebranded version
of Firefox to avoid some trademark disputes that Debian ran into when
patching the Firefox code. If you count Firefox as a requirement in
selecting a distro, Iceweasel will fulfil this requirement.

Mark