Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution
On Sun December 23 2007 18:50, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> * m.nuttall@??? (m.nuttall@???) wrote:
> > > Well many on here will suggest Debian, it does not have the helpful
> > > setup gui
>
> The setup on Debian is probably more helpfull than most. You can
> just select all the defaults, or, more usefully, you can read the
> help for each step and learn a bit about what is going on.
>
> > > that other distro have but if you can work past that problem once
> > > installed Debian will be solid. It has the apt-get\synaptics\aptidude
> > > for upgrade and software installation. Its only downsides (to me) is
> > > the fact it does tend to
> > >
> > > be a slow distro in the introduction of new\updated packages and the
> > > requirement for 100% free software, for example Debian has Iceweasel
> > > instead
> > >
> > > of Firefox because of issues regarding the Firefox software.
> >
> > That rules out debian for me then.
>
> I think you will find that Iceweasel is Firefox with a few Debian
> fixes that requires that they can't use the firefox name.
>
> --
> Philip Stubbs
> http://www.stuphi.co.uk

Apologies if my explanation seem to suggest that Iceweasel is a different
program to Firefox, I was trying to write in one sentence the trademark
dispute with Firefox and Debian desire to have 100% software which caused the
aforementioned trademark dispute, without getting into a boring long winded
explanation................like this!! :)

Tim