Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution
On Sun December 23 2007 18:36, m.nuttall@??? wrote:
> Quoting Tim <xendistar@???>:
> > On Sun December 23 2007 17:52, m.nuttall@??? wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have opensuse 10.2 installed on my PC which has an athlon 3000
> > > mobile,Nvidia geforce 6600GT gfx card and 2gig of ram. Suse is running
> > > a little
> > > unresponsive/slow so i was thinking of changing to a different flavour
> > > of linux but i like YAST alot so if theres an equivalent it might be
> > > interesting.
> > >
> > > Going through one of the distro chooseing questionaires Mandriva is
> > > recommended however is it going to be as unresponsive as Suse on my
> >
> > system?
> >
> > > I would prefer to use kde which kinda rules out ubuntu unless i go for
> > > the less popular kubuntu.
> > >
> > > So can i have peoples thoughts on what to change to and what they use
> > > at the moment.
> > >
> > > BTW i am a novice user
> > >
> > > Martin N
> >
> > Well many on here will suggest Debian, it does not have the helpful setup
> > gui
> >
> > that other distro have but if you can work past that problem once
> > installed Debian will be solid. It has the apt-get\synaptics\aptidude for
> > upgrade and software installation. Its only downsides (to me) is the fact
> > it does tend to
> >
> > be a slow distro in the introduction of new\updated packages and the
> > requirement for 100% free software, for example Debian has Iceweasel
> > instead
> >
> > of Firefox because of issues regarding the Firefox software.
>
> That rules out debian for me then.

It depends how IT Literate you are and are prepared to get your hands dirty,
this Lug will give you very good Debian support if you choose Debian

> > You have already mentioned Kbuntu which is similar to Debian but is more
> > upto
> >
> > date has more current software packages available. It also does not
> > suffer from the Debian free software philosophy
>
> Any idea of responsiveness/speed?

Judging by the spec of your PC I don't think you will have a problem, I just
found I did not like certain aspects of it on a personal level.

> > I tried Mandriva a while ago and found it very hand hold-ish,
>
> In what way?
> I expect suse could be said to be that with yast.

I found Mandrake (the predacessor of Mandriva) very much like Suse Which I was
using at the time) but just seemed to offer a lot more hand holding than I
wanted. It was several years ago so may have changed by to days standard

> > Mint is a new
> > distro which has been in the news lately, another Ubuntu based distro,
> > never
> >
> > tried it so can't comment.
> >
> > Feadora (Red Hat) tried it many moons ago. Use the RPM method for
> > Installing
> >
> > and upgrading software. Much improved compared to what it used to be
> > like, but that about all I can say about it
> >
> > Mepis 7 (my chosen distro) is a smaller less well known debian based
> > distro with the KDE GUI. The previous version 6 had been based on unbuntu
> > but version 7 has now returned to the Debian base. Mepis also has a very
> > good support forum at
> >
> > www.mepislovers.org
>
> Does that mean Mepis has got moral shackles on it like debian.

No Mepis does not have the "moral shackles" that Debian has.

The one thing I forgot to mention is that you can try Mepis as Live CD which
if you are happy with you just click the install icon on the desktop and you
can them install to your hard disk.

Moving from Mepis 6.5 to 7 is a job I have assigned for the xmas break.

Tim