Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution
* m.nuttall@??? (m.nuttall@???) wrote:
> > Well many on here will suggest Debian, it does not have the helpful setup gui

The setup on Debian is probably more helpfull than most. You can
just select all the defaults, or, more usefully, you can read the
help for each step and learn a bit about what is going on.

> > that other distro have but if you can work past that problem once installed
> > Debian will be solid. It has the apt-get\synaptics\aptidude for upgrade and
> > software installation. Its only downsides (to me) is the fact it does tend to
> >
> > be a slow distro in the introduction of new\updated packages and the
> > requirement for 100% free software, for example Debian has Iceweasel instead
> >
> > of Firefox because of issues regarding the Firefox software.
>
> That rules out debian for me then.

I think you will find that Iceweasel is Firefox with a few Debian
fixes that requires that they can't use the firefox name.

--
Philip Stubbs
http://www.stuphi.co.uk