Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution
>> The one significant downside of a RH-based distro is the number of
>> people
>> who insist on telling you how difficult they found rpm in 1729. You will
>> be regailed by stories of how apt is so superior to rpm, despit the fact
>> that apt and yum have been available for RPM-based distros for many
>> years
>> now, and dpkg is the Debian-style programme equivalent to rpm...
>
> It left you scared then ;)

Quite the opposite; rpm is a joy to use. I find dpkg over-complicated,
with far too many states for a package to exist in.

> Buying a distro would presumably mean some of the money has gone to the
> license of those codecs.

Don't assume anything :-)

Seriously, though, installing codecs is a piece of cake. It's usually a
one-liner. Everything's been automated *except* the installation of
packages without explicit say-so from the user - and that's just because
of the peculiarities of certain territoies, There's no *technical* reason
for it...

Vic.