Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution
> are there many fedora core users on this list?

I'm an occasional Fedora user. But I prefer RHEL-based distros, since most
of the boxes I install want long lifespans...

> The commercial bias is a plus since i have done tech support for schools
> in the past and might need to do some linux in the future although i
> dont know which distro. Although may end up in a commercial enviroment
> in time.

RedHat have an *enormous* market share. RH-based distros are very well put
together, are easy to use, and give you a range of focus from the very
conservative to the bleeding-edge.

The one significant downside of a RH-based distro is the number of people
who insist on telling you how difficult they found rpm in 1729. You will
be regailed by stories of how apt is so superior to rpm, despit the fact
that apt and yum have been available for RPM-based distros for many years
now, and dpkg is the Debian-style programme equivalent to rpm...

> I will still be able to get codecs for media players for example.

You can get codes for all distros, I believe. What you are up against is
that many will not ship with the codecs installed because US patent law
makes that illegal.

Vic.