Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution

Author: m.nuttall
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution
Quoting John Cooper <lug@???>:

> m.nuttall@??? wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have opensuse 10.2 installed on my PC which has an athlon 3000
> mobile,Nvidia
> > geforce 6600GT gfx card and 2gig of ram. Suse is running a little
> > unresponsive/slow so i was thinking of changing to a different flavour of
> linux
> > but i like YAST alot so if theres an equivalent it might be interesting.
> >
> > Going through one of the distro chooseing questionaires Mandriva is
> recommended
> > however is it going to be as unresponsive as Suse on my system?
> >
> > I would prefer to use kde which kinda rules out ubuntu unless i go for the
> less
> > popular kubuntu.
> >
> > So can i have peoples thoughts on what to change to and what they use at
> the moment.
> >
> > BTW i am a novice user
> >

> Martin, I'd try the live CD versions of Fedora, Kubuntu (I think this is
> the same as Ubuntu where the install CD is a live CD) and others so you
> can try without installing them. Debian isn't for novices so I'd try
> Ubuntu instead. I prefer Fedora but I'm used to Red Hat systems and
> prefer the commercial bias.

are there many fedora core users on this list?

The commercial bias is a plus since i have done tech support for schools in the
past and might need to do some linux in the future although i dont know which
distro. Although may end up in a commercial enviroment in time.Mas

Any negatives for being a more commercial distro? (fedora)

I will still be able to get codecs for media players for example.

Martin N