Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution
** Steve Kemp <steve@???> [2007-12-23 21:32]:
> On Sun Dec 23, 2007 at 20:24:12 +0000, m.nuttall@??? wrote:
>
> > Any negatives for being a more commercial distro? (fedora)
>
> The biggest downside to Fedora Core is that upgrades are painful,
> and the most straightforward approach is to wipe and reinstall.
> Thats something I've never had to do with Debian...

** end quote [Steve Kemp]

Indeed. Interestingly, following my upgrade of Ubuntu from 7.04 to 7.10
I'm beginning to feel the need to wipe the machine and reinstall. Not
something I was expecting given the image of being Debian with added
ease of use. I have some increasingly odd behaviour cropping up. Things
like:

o Applets on my panel have taken to vanishing. The process is still
running, and I haven't yet actually notice one go, just become aware
that it is no longer there. The battery indicator is the main one, but
Orage and Network Manager have gone too (this being when running XFCE)

o I've just found that I have a xchat-gnome process running and logged
in to my IRC channels, but no related window

o When running Gnome the applets come up in a random order on the panel.
I'm guessing it is to do with which gets running first, but it is
annoying that they are not consitently placed (actually this has always
been the case).

o OOo can easily be crashed, usually by selecting something from the
right click menu on cells or groups of cells. The Format cells one
always causes this. I've never had this on my Debian installs or
Windows, and only noticed it since the upgrade to 7.10

o Firefox and Opera are a bit prone to vanishing, process and all.

I'd put this down to dodgy memory, or lack of memory, but since 7.04 was
running quite happily in 256M, this started before I upgraded to 384M
and Memtest can run for hours on end without the slightest hint of an
error I've got no solid evidence of that :(

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: