Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution
On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 00:21:58 +0000 (+0000), Paul Tansom wrote:
> Indeed. Interestingly, following my upgrade of Ubuntu from 7.04 to 7.10
> I'm beginning to feel the need to wipe the machine and reinstall. Not
> something I was expecting given the image of being Debian with added
> ease of use. I have some increasingly odd behaviour cropping up. Things
> like:

I must say that I had several problems when I upgraded to gutsy
pre-release and I've heard similar regarding Hardy. To be fair this
looks like bashisms in my X scripts for the most part.

Debian proper I've had very few issues with really. Just Gnome issues
really :-( Most of those being Gnome's fault.

> Orage and Network Manager have gone too (this being when running XFCE)

I've found the NM applet in Gutsy to break very frequently (just dies)
and now it doesn't seem to detect new networks either :( I _had_
played with ACPI a bit (namely taking out down/up interfaces since I
expect NM to do that if it's required). However I've reverted those
chagnes and it's still broken.

> o I've just found that I have a xchat-gnome process running and logged
> in to my IRC channels, but no related window

You havn't got two login sessions perchance?

> o OOo can easily be crashed, usually by selecting something from the
> right click menu on cells or groups of cells. The Format cells one
> always causes this. I've never had this on my Debian installs or
> Windows, and only noticed it since the upgrade to 7.10

Removing openoffice.org-gtk and openoffice.org-gnome fixed the
horrifically frequent crashes for me.

Adrian