Re: [Hampshire] The end of an era

Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The end of an era
On Saturday 29 Dec 2007, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Sat Dec 29, 2007 at 13:08:19 +0000, Adam Trickett wrote:
> > When you look back the noticeable thing is that they weren't Microsoft
> > and their stuff worked on Unix.
>
> Interestingly in my first programming job, circa 1996, we had a copy
> of Internet Explorer running on Solaris. I'm sure it was via
> the mainsoft compatibility layar, rather than a native port but my
> memory is hazy ..
>
> (I definitely started that job in 96, but it might have been a year or
> two later. Definitely whilst I was still there though!)

Okay, you got me there, IE 4 or 5 was available for Solaris and HP I think,
but lots of things didn't work (ActiveX) and it didn't last very long. There
hasn't been a Linux version, and the Mac version is long dead and I don't
know if it was ever ported to OS X.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Yes, I'm bitter and cynical. That does not make me wrong.
    -- anon