Re: [Hampshire] windows grub repair suse 10.2

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] windows grub repair suse 10.2
On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 18:22:25 +0000, m.nuttall@??? said:

> Trying other options gives an error of cant find (hd0,6). My root
> partition is hda7 so why is it mentioning (hd0,6) ?

Grub numbers the partitions from zero, so this is correct. Does /dev/hda7
still exist? Run a standalone/recovery CD and try:

    mkdir /x
    mount /dev/hda7 /x

...and see if it mounts correctly.

> Tried livedvd suse10.0 yast but wants to write to the cd and sits there
> stuck at 50% progress.

Sorry, that sentence makes little sense.

> The only thing i can think of is to install the suse10.3 after formating
> my root partition.

That is highly unlikely to be necessary. Boot a standalone or recovery CD
and try running 'grub' and then:

grub> root (hd0,<tab>

...which will tell you what partitions grub recognises.

> suse install bootmanager confused?

Not sure what you're saying or asking here.

> Any other suggestions?

Be a little more literate: that will help others help you.

Keith

--
Keith Edmunds

|  Tiger Computing Ltd  |  Helping businesses make the most of Linux  |
|  "The Linux Company"  |       http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk      |