Re: [Hampshire] Returning to FC8 X11 Problem

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Returning to FC8 X11 Problem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Gibbins" <sean@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 2:51 PM

[snip]

> Hi Rob,
>
> It looks like you are correct in your assumption that the on-board
> graphics are handled by an nvidia 6100 chip.
>
> This link points to two possibilities for your board, both of which
> rather unhelpfully list the graphics as, "VGA on Die: Integrated":
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2ej3ov
>
> However, googling reveals that both options listed there use GeForce 6100.
>
> A quick peek in the manual would appear to confirm that you are also
> correct when you say that it appears you cannot disable the on-board
> graphics. That said, there appears to be a dual-monitor option and I
> wonder if enabling that is the key to enabling your PCI-E card?

Some progress here. The default setting for dual monitor in the BIOS was
enabled so I've now switched this and Xorg is only detecting one card. To
a large extent, I want this box to be my "learning box" so I've decided to
use the better card - i.e. the 8400..

[snip]

> Either way it looks like the nvidia drivers are the way to go for better
> performance. On that topic I found some stuff on this forum:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=930150#post930150
>
> It might be worth taking up PabloTwo's advice and searching the forum
> for your mobo/card(s)/distro to see if there are any HOWTOs that detail
> the best way to enable nvidia graphics in FC8 generally or specifically
> for your hardware.

I've done exactly that - no problems with the install and I was hopeful when
at one point I did system-config-display and it appeared to be switching to
a graphics mode - but then dumped me back out.

> One thing worthy of mention is that you ensure that the monitor is
> plugged in to the correct card (on-board or PCI-E) when testing changes
> - I've been caught out by that before! <blush>

Indeed - and (wouldn't you know it) this particular PC is on a
less-than-accessible top shelf! I've now tried both ports - the VGA and
the DVI (which I have via an adaptor into a VGA) - still no dice.

> Finally, try substituting 'vesa' or 'nv' for 'nvidia' here:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier  "nvidia GeForce 6100"
> Boardname   "nv"
> Busid       "PCI:0:13:0"
> Driver      "nvidia"
> Screen     0
> EndSection

Can I just check you mean substitiute vesa (or nv) for nvidia in both the
Driver and Identifier lines?

Thanks again Sean.

Cheers
Rob