Re: [Hampshire] Samba and MS vista

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba and MS vista
On Wed January 2 2008 21:52, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> * Tim (xendistar@???) wrote:
> > Since upgrading to mepis 7 (debian based) my vista box has not been able
> > to access the samba shares (4 folders on an external USB hd connected to
> > the mepis PC formatted to vfat32) when I reboot the same PC into Mepis
> > 6.5 (unbuntu based) my vista PC can access the aforementioned share with
> > out a problem (I also have the same problem with the XP boxes).
> >
> > When I setup mepis 7 I simply copied the smb.conf from 6.5 to 7 but
> > nothing seems to work. I have been on line and there is a lot of info
> > regarding vista running NTLMv2 authentication which they suggest running
> > secpol.msc and change the security policy. Unfortunately the "Home
> > editions" of vista don't come with a policy editior so I found a site
> > which gave the registry key to hack, but again this made no difference.
>
> Acording to your first paragraph, the shares work with Mepis 6.5 but
> not 7. Does this not indicate that the problem is with Mepis and not
> with Vista?

I agree............I only added the sentence on the end first paragraph re XP
after I had written both paragraphs, my wife asked me if I had sorted the
problem (she wants access to the mp3) so that reminded me to add the problem
was also with the XP boxes. Unfortunately I never re read the entire article
before posting and I had written the post based on the problems I was
experiencing with Vista, that single sentence changed the entire context of
the message.

So to correct the message, if I am in mepis 6.5 my XP and vista boxes have
full read right access to the shares, if I am in mepis 7 then neither my XP
or Vista boxes can access have access to the shares.

Sorry for the confusion

Any thoughts??

Tim