Re: [Hampshire] Slide/neg scanning - Vuescan

Author: Chris Dennis
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Slide/neg scanning - Vuescan
Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion of VueScan. I tried VueScan and SANE for my
> Epson flatbed scanner which is fully supported by both scanner interfaces.
>
> Scanning the same slide with SANE and VueScan produced quite different results
> (ignoring the $ symbols), the slide looked natural and okay with SANE, and
> utterly awful with VueScan. There were lots of options with VueScan,
> more than SANE, so I'll try some more, in case it was just a bad setting.

I've toyed with the trial version of Vuescan in the past: the images it
produces are 'raw' in the sense that no processing is done, leaving you
with all options available, and all the work to do. There may be
settings in Vuescan that will automate things a bit.

(I gave up with Vuescan because it didn't deal with the negative feeder
on my Epson 3590 very well, but it seems to be good software if you're
fanatical about scan quality and prepared to put in the time to achieve it).

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???