Re: [Hampshire] Slide/neg scanning - Vuescan

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Slide/neg scanning - Vuescan
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 at 01:19:55PM +0000, Tony Whitmore wrote:

> There is SANE support for some models (the SANE site has a list) but in
> order to make use of the advanced features of the scanners you need to
> use a more advanced piece of software. This means either running the
> bundled software under WINE or using VueScan. VueScan is proprietary but
> great and there's a native Linux version. I bought the professional
> version which allows saving of RAW files and calibration etc. The
> advantage of saving the RAW files is that you can go back and alter the
> amount of scratch removal and grain removal etc. afterwards, without
> rescanning the negative.

Thanks for the suggestion of VueScan. I tried VueScan and SANE for my
Epson flatbed scanner which is fully supported by both scanner interfaces.

Scanning the same slide with SANE and VueScan produced quite different results
(ignoring the $ symbols), the slide looked natural and okay with SANE, and
utterly awful with VueScan. There were lots of options with VueScan,
more than SANE, so I'll try some more, in case it was just a bad setting.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
    -- Albert Einstein