Re: [Hampshire] Debian, I installed the wrong bit

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian, I installed the wrong bit
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 08:03:23 +0000
Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:

> I installed debian via netinstall yesterday and accepted the
> default install which has installed a lot of bits I don't want. Is
> it easier to reinstall from the beginning or is there a dpkg
> command that will allow me to run the program selection so that I
> can de-select the stuff I don't want and add the programs I do want?

The default install does pull in a lot of stuff and for that reason I
only do a base install then use aptitude at the command line to
install the stuff I really want, tasksel is too broadbrush in its
approach.

You can use aptitude to remove packages and there is a sort
of 'graphical interface' you can use which so far as I know doesn't
need X. The interface isn't as user friendly as synaptic* but is a lot
friendlier than dpkg.

*a gnome related package so may need X

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package