Re: [Hampshire] Debian, I installed the wrong bit

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian, I installed the wrong bit
On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 at 09:40:49AM +0000, john lewis wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 08:03:23 +0000
> >
> > I installed debian via netinstall yesterday and accepted the
> > default install which has installed a lot of bits I don't want. Is
> > it easier to reinstall from the beginning or is there a dpkg
> > command that will allow me to run the program selection so that I
> > can de-select the stuff I don't want and add the programs I do want?
>
> The default install does pull in a lot of stuff and for that reason I
> only do a base install then use aptitude at the command line to
> install the stuff I really want, tasksel is too broadbrush in its
> approach.

Ditto, Get the to the end of the install, skip the automatic selection,
and then use aptitude to install the bits you actually want.

When you install anying big like x, openoffice, kde or gnome, there is
usually a core package and a meta-package of everthing, carefully
chose the one you want.

> You can use aptitude to remove packages and there is a sort
> of 'graphical interface' you can use which so far as I know doesn't
> need X. The interface isn't as user friendly as synaptic* but is a lot
> friendlier than dpkg.

Ditto, the command line interface is easy enough, the ncurses text user
interface (TUI) is a bit unfriednly..

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

The animals are not as stupid as one thinks - they have neither
doctors nor lawyers.
    -- L Doquier