Re: [Hampshire] Samba and MS vista

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba and MS vista
On Sat January 5 2008 14:51, Tim wrote:
> On Sat January 5 2008 10:41, Vic wrote:
> > > But apart from checking that the ports are open in service.conf how can
> > > I test that each port is open and can be seen by the vista box.
> >
> > nmap.
> >
> > But note that if our magnificent Government do what they've promised,
> > that solution will involve committing a criminal offence if you do it
> > past May
> >
> > :-(
> >
> > Vic.
>
> Just liking ripping CD's to mp3's.........................
>
> I am happy with my own personal ability to use it to help resolve my own
> network problems and not for snooping. I guess to some pin striped suit in
> an office that will count for nothing and I will be guilty by ownership.
>
> Tim

OK tried nmap from my vista box against my mepis 7 bos, here the results with
a little snipping

Starting Nmap 4.52 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2008-01-05 15:27 GMT Standard
Time
Initiating ARP Ping Scan at 15:27
Scanning 192.168.1.76 [1 port]
Completed ARP Ping Scan at 15:27, 0.25s elapsed (1 total hosts)
Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 15:27
Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 15:27, 0.01s elapsed
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 15:27
Scanning 192.168.1.76 [1714 ports]
Discovered open port 445/tcp on 192.168.1.76
Discovered open port 901/tcp on 192.168.1.76
Discovered open port 139/tcp on 192.168.1.76

<snip>

PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
139/tcp open netbios-ssn Samba smbd 3.X (workgroup: HOME)
445/tcp open netbios-ssn Samba smbd 3.X (workgroup: HOME)
901/tcp open http Samba SWAT administration server
l_ HTML title: 401 Authorization Required
l HTTP Auth: HTTP Service requires authentication|_ Auth type: Basic, realm =
SWAT

<snip>

So the problem looks like either mepis 7 or samba (yes you did say that in an
earlier post Phil!!).

I am going to remove Samba and reinstall and do a test using the mepis live CD
as well

Tim