Re: [Hampshire] Buying new laptops in Hampshire

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Buying new laptops in Hampshire
* Tim (xendistar@???) wrote:
> On Sun January 6 2008 18:47, Stuart Matheson wrote:
> > As I'm now in the market for a new laptop I thought I'd throw it out
> > to the group for suggestions and recommendations on retailers.
> >
> > What are the budget brands like E Systems and Advent like?
> > How do Currys and PC World rate?
> >
> > I'm looking at spending about £500, would like 2gb of ram, webcam
> > built in and a Core 2 Duo processor. I'm also happy with any size.
> > All suggestions are welcome!
> >
> > Oh, being able to run linux is a must too.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> Regarding PCWorld and Currys, if they have the laptop and spec that you want,
> you have done your homework and know the PC you want and they have it instock
> then if you are happy with the price then by all means buy it from PCWolrd or
> Currys. But if you want help deciding, support if it goes wrong or any other
> assistant then steer well clear. I am surprised their staff even know what a
> PC is.

I bought my Laptop from PCWorld a few years back. At that time, it
was on a special offer, and therfore was very competitivly priced.
What you do have to be ready for is the hard sell for the extended
support. I quite enjoyed telling them that I was going to wipe the
HD as soon as I got home. If I had taken the extended support, it
would have added an extra £400 to the cost.

--
Philip Stubbs
http://www.stuphi.co.uk