Re: [Hampshire] Buying new laptops in Hampshire

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Buying new laptops in Hampshire
On Sun January 6 2008 18:47, Stuart Matheson wrote:
> As I'm now in the market for a new laptop I thought I'd throw it out
> to the group for suggestions and recommendations on retailers.
>
> What are the budget brands like E Systems and Advent like?
> How do Currys and PC World rate?
>
> I'm looking at spending about £500, would like 2gb of ram, webcam
> built in and a Core 2 Duo processor. I'm also happy with any size.
> All suggestions are welcome!
>
> Oh, being able to run linux is a must too.
>
> Cheers,

Regarding PCWorld and Currys, if they have the laptop and spec that you want,
you have done your homework and know the PC you want and they have it instock
then if you are happy with the price then by all means buy it from PCWolrd or
Currys. But if you want help deciding, support if it goes wrong or any other
assistant then steer well clear. I am surprised their staff even know what a
PC is.

Some of the bigger supermarkets have started selling Laptops, again if you
have done your homework and know exactly what you want and are happy with the
price then buy it from them, but again don't expect any support.

As far as I know E-Machines are a Middle east clone, while I have only had
dealing with a very old Advent desktop so can't really comment on that.

Probably best to look online stores for the best price.

Tim