Re: [Hampshire] Buying new laptops in Hampshire

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Buying new laptops in Hampshire
Why not go along to Novatech and have a play?

I tend to use them quite a bit and only once have I had to return a part
that was not working. (dodgy power supply cable). That said, I tend to
buy components rather than laptops. I do recommend you visit the
showroom and make up your own mind.

Remember, that the vast majority of laptops are sourced from just 2 or 3
Asian makers. These huge factories produce stuff for Dell, HP etc in
vast quantities to the spec defined by the likes of HP etc. They also
produce a range of very generic laptops for the rest of the market. It
is this type that the like of Novatech sell. AFAIK, when they receive
and order for a unit, they take a base unit off the shelf, add the RAM,
load the software onto the HDD with their mix of trialware etc and ship
it. This is how Dell used to do it in Ireland.

If you look in he PC Mags (eg PC Pro, computer Shopper) you will see a
great deal of similarity in the physical appearance of laptops between
various suppliers.

Stephen D