Re: [Hampshire] FC8 dependency circularity

Top Page
Author: Jon Fautley
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FC8 dependency circularity

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5849a100.hantslug.org.uk.12749': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jan 10 12:45:11 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 9111B5743CA26D44
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:37:00 +0000
rob <rob@???> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 11:14 +0000, Rob Malpass wrote:
> > Hi all and a much belated happy new year
> >
> > Having fun with FC8 this morning. I've only recently got it up
> > and running and unsurprisingly it now wants to update 420 odd
> > packages. I thought - why not - and told it to do so all at
> > once. Another unsurprising result - dependency conflicts.
> > Trouble is - two of them - I can't resolve and my FC8 inexperience
> > is stopping me working my way around it.
> >
> > The two in question are firefox and xulrunner. I've unchecked
> > both in the list of updates but I'm still getting:
> >
> > file /etc/gre.d/gre.conf from install of
> > xulrunner-1.9-0.beta2.7.fc9 conflicts with file from package
> > firefox-2.0.0.8-2.fc8
>
> How did you manage to install a Fedora9 package in the first place?
> xulrunner-1.9-0.beta2.7.fc9 <-- isn't a Fedora 8 package.
>
> I'd clear out the stuff related to xulrunner first.

Do you have any other repositories installed? Have you installed
packages from other sources?

This isn't a dependency problem with Fedora - it's because something
has been installed that conflicts with packages provided by the
distribution.

I'd remove the xulrunner package and you should be able to complete the
upgrade successfully. Unless something majorly bad happened, this
package wasn't shipped with Fedora... the build process wouldn't have
allowed a release of a package that has conflicting files with another.

Cheers,

/j
--
Jon Fautley RHCE, RHCX               email: jfautley@???
Senior Consultant                    cell :     +44 7841 558683