Re: [Hampshire] FC8 dependency circularity

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FC8 dependency circularity

----- Original Message -----
From: "rob" <rob@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:37 PM

> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 11:14 +0000, Rob Malpass wrote:
>> Hi all and a much belated happy new year
>>
>> Having fun with FC8 this morning. I've only recently got it up and
>> running
>> and unsurprisingly it now wants to update 420 odd packages. I thought -
>> why not - and told it to do so all at once. Another unsurprising
>> result -
>> dependency conflicts. Trouble is - two of them - I can't resolve and my
>> FC8 inexperience is stopping me working my way around it.
>>
>> The two in question are firefox and xulrunner. I've unchecked both in
>> the
>> list of updates but I'm still getting:
>>
>> file /etc/gre.d/gre.conf from install of xulrunner-1.9-0.beta2.7.fc9
>> conflicts with file from package firefox-2.0.0.8-2.fc8
>
> How did you manage to install a Fedora9 package in the first place?
> xulrunner-1.9-0.beta2.7.fc9 <-- isn't a Fedora 8 package.

Very good question - I have not installed anything myself - this was a blank
canvas install and I just accepted all possible updates.

> I'd clear out the stuff related to xulrunner first.
>

> Rob.

I did just that and then when I tried to log back in (i.e. the screen had
locked), it wouldn't accept my password. I managed to ctrl+alt+backspace
out to a console but even though it allowed me to logout and log back in
using the original password, it now won't start X.

Rebooting, I now have two options (FC8 and FC9 apparently judging by the
names of the kernels). One is completely broke (hangs after umpteen
messages I don't have time to read because they whizz through so quickly and
I don't even get a console) and the other one still won't boot X complaining
about some missing module. All was working fine until I tried to update
these packages!

I'll keep hacking away at it!

Cheers
Rob