Re: [Hampshire] FC8 dependency circularity

Author: rob
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FC8 dependency circularity

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 14:26 +0000, Rob Malpass wrote:
[snip]

> I did just that and then when I tried to log back in (i.e. the screen had
> locked), it wouldn't accept my password. I managed to ctrl+alt+backspace
> out to a console but even though it allowed me to logout and log back in
> using the original password, it now won't start X.
>
> Rebooting, I now have two options (FC8 and FC9 apparently judging by the
> names of the kernels). One is completely broke (hangs after umpteen
> messages I don't have time to read because they whizz through so quickly and
> I don't even get a console) and the other one still won't boot X complaining
> about some missing module. All was working fine until I tried to update
> these packages!

Don't bother trying the fc9 kernel.

It sounds like somehow you've managed to enable the testing
repositories, which will get you the fedora 9 bits. As these are still
very much testing you need to see what's happened.

Have a look in /etc/yum.repos.d/ and make sure that none of the sections
marked testing are enabled.

The problem is it's very hard to roll back to a stable system once
you've got beta code wedged in there.

If 'yum list \*.fc9' lists any packages then you will have somehow
enabled testing repositories.

You could try 'yum remove \*.fc9' but it may well want to remove just
about everything, in which case....

If you're lucky and only got one or two fc9 files you may be able to
clean up, but if not, the safest and probably quickest way is to back up
any data you want to keep and reinstall the system.

Rob.