Re: [Hampshire] Dual boot, shared files in Kubuntu.

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Dual boot, shared files in Kubuntu.
On Thursday 10 January 2008 15:53, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> hantslug@??? wrote:
> > Is it really necessary to use a Windows partitioner?  And if so, can
> > anyone suggest a good one that does not require money?
>
> Probably not necessary to use a Windows one, but then it might be a good
> idea to know where you are starting from Lisi, i.e. bare disks, one OS
> in place, both OSs in place, free space available, etc.

I have just installed Kubuntu on a HD that already had Windows on it. (For
someone else, I feel bound to add ;-) ) There is at present no free space
available, but Kubuntu has already helped itself to a goodly chunk of the
original Windows partition; and I am intending to shrink the Windows
partition still further to create another partition, formatted with FAT32
(?). Had I been starting from scratch I would have created the right number
of partitions in the first place.

> Also, and probably the most obvious thing to state here is, no matter
> what tools you use, ensure that you can get back to where you started by
> way of good, proven backups before you start resizing partitions, etc.

I have been assured that there is no data of any importance on the Windows
partition - and I am only just doing the first update on the Kubuntu
partition.

> Not free,

:-(

> but certainly dependable,