Re: [Hampshire] Dual boot, shared files in Kubuntu.

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Dual boot, shared files in Kubuntu.
hantslug@??? wrote:

> I have just installed Kubuntu on a HD that already had Windows on it. (For
> someone else, I feel bound to add ;-) ) There is at present no free space
> available, but Kubuntu has already helped itself to a goodly chunk of the
> original Windows partition; and I am intending to shrink the Windows
> partition still further to create another partition, formatted with FAT32
> (?). Had I been starting from scratch I would have created the right number
> of partitions in the first place.

Is a new hard drive an option in terms of cost, space and connectivity?
They are pretty cheap these days and it'd certainly be a safer option
than shrinking existing partitions.

FAT32 is probably the simplest option for interoperability but comes
with a size limitation of 4GB on individual files IIRC, which probably
won't bother most people.

The other thing to consider with inserting partitions (I am picturing
Windows at the beginning of the drive, Kubuntu at the end and the new
partition somewhere in between) is that it could upset grub if it knocks
the root partition on a notch or two. Not an issue if the new partition
is at the end of the drive of course, but that is the sort of thing that
usually comes to me just after I have slipped it in the recently vacated
spaced and am reaching for the rescue CD!

;o)

Sean