Re: [Hampshire] ZFS or equivalent available for Linux?

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ZFS or equivalent available for Linux?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58367100.hantslug.org.uk.20524': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jan 14 22:46:37 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 07:35:10PM +0000, Damian Lajos Brasher wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 18:01 +0000, Hugo Mills wrote:
> > > How is it that the BSD licence model can cope with the Sun CDDL licence?
> >
> >    Because the GPL forbids additional restrictions over and above
> > those listed in the GPL. BSD, however, basically says "do whatever you
> > want with this" -- which means that it's pretty much compatible with
> > any license at all (i.e. BSD-licensed material may be distributed as
> > source or binary as a part of a larger or derived work licensed under
> > any other license).

> Ah right, the 'source or binary' was the missing piece for me, ZFS,
> therefore, can be packaged with any complete BSD based operating system
> distribution in binary form without potential licence conflicts. So is
> it true that, say, FreeBSD, I have never tried it and probably won't in
> the near future, contains many binary only packages supplied by various
> vendors like Sun?

No, the BSD distributions themselves are at least as source-based
as Linux distributions (possibly more so). The point about the BSD
license is that it makes little or no requirements over its usage --
so if you want to make a derived work from it and release that work
under another license, it's almost certain that you can.

So, for example, there are many Linux hardware drivers in the
kernel (a GPLv2-licensed entity) which started out life as BSD
code. Those are distributed as GPLv2-licensed source code. On the
other hand, Windows' TCP/IP networking layer is based on the BSD
TCP/IP networking layer, and is released as a binary blob under the
Windows EULA.

The BSD license gives the recipient of a BSD-derived work no
additional rights; compare this to the GPL, which is unusual amongst
software licenses in that it *does* give the recipient some rights (if
you receive a binary copy of the work, you are entitled to a copy of
the source).

Hugo.

    --- You can't expect a boy to be depraved until he's gone to ---
                             a good school.