Re: [Hampshire] ZFS or equivalent available for Linux?

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ZFS or equivalent available for Linux?
On Monday 14 January 2008 22:46:37 Hugo Mills wrote:
>    The BSD license gives the recipient of a BSD-derived work no
> additional rights; compare this to the GPL, which is unusual amongst
> software licenses in that it *does* give the recipient some rights (if
> you receive a binary copy of the work, you are entitled to a copy of
> the source).

I agree with everything you said except this last paragraph, since it
depends on what you mean by recipient.

As you say, the BSD is a lot more flexible, which means the *original*
recipient has a lot more rights than the original recipient of GPL'd
software. However, the *next* recipient in the BSD chain isn't guaranteed
anything whereas they are with the GPL.

The GPL worries about maximising the rights of the next recipient
(recursively), whereas the BSD worries about the current recipient.

They both have their uses, and tend to use one or the other according
to how I expect the software to be used.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???